School might have prepared you to make great stuff, but how are you supposed to learn to have a great career? How do you achieve mastery if you practice alone? Where do you turn for advice if you’re the only designer you work with?
You need a mentor
Even if you work in a big agency, surrounded by creatives of all shapes and sizes, a mentor is one of the most valuable professional relationships you can cultivate. And, just because someone is your creative director, doesn’t mean they should be your mentor.
Mentor Matchmaking is a speed-dating style event, designed to help you meet the mentor of your dreams. Potential mentors and proteges meet for 15 minutes to talk about the issues that plague a career in design. If both the mentor and protege agree that the conversation went well, AIGA DFW facilitates trading contact information.
Come with your most pressing problems, quandaries, and quagmires; but leave the portfolio at home. Our mentors are happy to discuss your hopes and fears, but they won’t be looking at your book.
This year's mentors
- Adam Polanski - UX Strategist at Bottle Rocket
- Alan Lidji - Creative Director, Lidji Design Office
- Alexander Flores - Creative Director at TracyLocke
- Candy Bernhardt - Head of UX and Design at Capital One Auto Finance
- Casey McGarr - Owner of Inky Lips Press, Associate Professor at TAMUC Dallas
- Doug May - Branding Consultant at May & Co.
- Galen Greenwood - Senior Creative Director at Freeman
- Greg Lakloufi - Creative Director at Atelier
- Holly Aguilar - Senior Art Director at Balcom Agency
- James Helms - Director of Experience Design at Intuit
- Jason Franzen - Founder of Streamline Certified
- Jason Osburn - Founder of Design Unto Others
- Jeff Corkran - Independent Experience Strategist & Designer
- Jeremy Johnson - Vice President of Customer Experience at projekt202
- Jim Olvera - Owner of Jim Olvera, Photographer
- Jimmy Ball - Director of UX & Design at SiriusXM Connected Vehicle Services
- Keisha Whaley - Founder of Brass Tacks Collective
- Ky Lewis - Art Director at The Infinite Agency
- Ramsey Ruelas - Independent Motion Graphic Designer, VP of DSVC
- Ronnie Johnson - Design Lead at Black Pixel
- Sarah Reid - UX & Design Research Lead at Dialexa
- Steve Holland - Director of UX at Elevate Credit
- Sung Kim - Founder of Gesture, Inc.
- Sylvia Erives - Designer at Caliber Creative
- Tad Dobbs - Creative Director at HCK2 Partners
- Willie Baronet - Artist, Designer, Filmmaker, and Professor at SMU